Friday, May 7, 2010

An Unmarried Woman

This is an honesty post.

I am embarrassed to admit that I actually enjoyed this film. By enjoyed I mean I was intrigued the entire time. I'm not sure if it was the whole 'girl talk' or the anticipation of seeing more breasts or maybe even finding out what what our main character Erica (Jill Clayburgh) will do. But, I stayed awake the entire time and enjoyed it.

The topic of this film was an interesting one. An unmarried woman. This film is simply that. Her struggles of dealing with a husband of 16 years leaving her for a younger woman, getting back in the game and dating again, being sexually active with someone else and simply being a good mom. It explores the roles of a woman and her independence in a world where men should take care of them.

I've been living in an apartment with at least one girl for nearly 4 years now. I've been around all the girl talk, all the period talk and everything else that comes in the package of living with girls. That is why I particularly enjoyed the scene where Erica is talking to her therapist about her period. This discussion seems so misplaced or irrelevant. But, it would be considered taboo when it was released in 1978. To have a woman speak on screen about her menstruation? how empowering for woman to hear? It seemed natural and accurate and I found it intriguing.

Even when receiving backlash from many people in class, I still stand my ground on liking this film. They it was boring, uneventful, they didn't care about it, blah blah. Maybe all it takes for me to enjoy a movie is to see some boobies and hear about girl's talking like girls?

Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment