Friday, May 7, 2010

To Conclude.

I am pleased with my decision in choosing this class. Even before beginning this class I was intrigued with the 70's. Such iconic characters, films and directors thrived and began in this era, along with monumental events taking place. I wanted to learn about these factors and how they influenced what I know, love and watch today.

Taking our time and immersing ourselves into the events of the 70's - watergate, vietnam, the role of the media, etc - it put in perspective and laid the groundwork for many key films of this era. I liked taking our time on these subjects and discussing them in extent.

Delving into iconic directors and their genesis was inspiring. Seeing Coppola's roots as a director and a storyteller was fascinating and humbling. The reason's why he made The Conversation and why it's his most favorite film he's made are all things I love hearing about. This class added personality to each film. We learned the behind the scenes aspects and that it was I will remember most. I love hearing about how films were made, why they were made, where the inspiration was drawn from and so on.

The final project is one I especially enjoyed. I tried for a long time to connect with my issue and how I could best illustrate my point, and through that of talking it out amongst friends it came to light how I should go about it. Prior to executing my PSA, I discussed the issue amongst friends and strangers and in turn became more aware of everything going on with Facebook. I would like to thank this class for opening up such an issue and allowing me to talk and bring attention to this interesting dilemma. It was a revolt on Facebook and if anything, I've made people think more critically about it all.

Personally, I don't respond well to large open discussions. I get more out of and can contribute proactively to a smaller, personal group. I found myself being closed off much of the time during our discussions and that displeased me. I know I wasn't alone on this. I feel that the environment of the screening room wasn't the greatest for discussions. Everyone is looking at the backs of everyone, and a real discussion seems forced. I feel I could've taken more away from this class if we had moved into another classroom that was set up in a circle for discussion.

Nonetheless, I did learn a lot about this era, I learned much about the films of this time and I saw films I would have never watched if it weren't for this class. It opened me up to new styles, and new inspirations. The ability to blog was a much improved aspect of assignments and I felt more open to writing thanks to this approach. This is a class that I would recommend and one that'll stay with me the rest of my career as an aspiring movie maker.

thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment